Twelve Pearls gives everyone the opportunity to own and enjoy these stunning underwater gems. Our collection consists of Freshwater, Saltwater Akoya, Tahitian & South Sea Pearls. Whichever you choose, we're sure they will take pride of place in your jewellery collection and treasured forever.
As pearls are a product of nature, to differing degrees they can be quite delicate. Here are some helpful steps to ensure a long life for your precious pearls.
- Cosmetics and hair products should be applied at least 30 minutes prior to wearing your pearl jewellery. These chemicals will damage and dull the lustre of your pearls.
- Never use chemical or ultrasonic cleaners.
- After wearing, clean your pearls with a soft cloth to remove body oils and any pollutants from the air. You may use distilled water (or water with low mineral content) to slightly dampen the soft cloth for cleaning. Do not use detergent on your pearls, as this will destroy the nacre.
- When not worn for extended periods, the pearls should be wiped with a soft cloth dampened in clean cool water (distilled or water with low mineral content).
- Pearl strands are beaded on pure silk thread. As such, do not immerse in water as this will weaken the silk and risk the strand breaking.
- Store your pearls in a jewellery box or soft cloth pouch, separate from other jewellery to avoid scratching. Do not store pearls in an air tight container or safe, this may cause the pearl to dry out and damage the nacre.
- Continued exposure to very bright lights and the sun may fade natural colours and treated colour of pearls.
- If you wear your pearls regularly, it is recommended that you restring your strand around once a year. Twelve Pearls string all their strands on pure silk thread and knotted between each individual pearl. This is to ensure that if your strand does break, you will not lose all your pearls! It also ensures your pearls do not rub against each other which protects them also.
Twelve Pearls offer a restringing service (even if you didn't purchase your pearls from us.) The rate for restringing is $2 per inch with a minimum of $35 plus postage. However, if you would like to order something from our store at the same time, we will ship your restrung pearls and your purchase with free shipping.